Pretty Kitten's Kitchen is now at http://www.pbandjeats.com
October 08, 2010
Tips and Tricks: 5 Great Things To Do With Pesto
Pesto is a magic potion, if you ask me. We always have a jar of pesto in the fridge, and my favorite thing about it is that it is more than just a delicious sauce for pasta.
Here are just a couple of ideas for using pesto to shake things up a bit:
1. Mix about 1 Tbsp. pesto with about 2 Tbsp. mayo and spread on your favorite bread to add extra flavor to your sandwich.
(particularly if the bread is foccacia and your sandwich consists of smoked turkey, fresh tomatoes and salty provalone cheese -- as in the sandwich pictured below. Yum yum!)
2. Stir pesto into crushed canned tomatoes and reduce for an almost-instant pasta sauce.
3. Spike your mashed potatoes with pesto to give them an herb and garlic flair!
4. Spread a very thin layer of pesto on your dough instead of pizza sauce -- cover with shredded mozzarella, diced chicken, fresh tomatoes and artichoke hearts for chicken pesto pizza. Oh, and don't forget the bacon!
5. Add a spoonful or two of pesto to fresh diced tomatoes and spoon onto toasted slices of baguette for quick and easy bruschetta.
Do you have a favorite way to use pesto? Know of any other kitchen multi-taskers? Leave a comment!